I’ve been kind of absent this past week, but I am hoping to do a little catch up soon. I’m sorry and I hope you are all well.
Is it a trope for book bloggers to talk about tropes? Yes.
Do I love it? Absolutely.
But you know what people don’t talk about?? Small (s m o l) tropes but sometimes they make the best scenes. Small (s m o l) details are my F A V O U R I T E S!!
Wait, what is a small (s m o l) trope???
“It is a small detail in a book which isn’t always to do with the plot. It can vary from character trait, dialogue, action to basically anything.”
MY GRAND LIST:
- as you do. (e.g) they jumped off the cliff… as you do. (e.g) they fell in love… as you do.
- pulling out lots of weapons from your clothes
- they are a devil, they are an angel, put them together and you get chemistry. Even better when the angel is the deadliest.
- unspoken conversations
- as you wish
- (a) I’m an idiot, (b) that’s why I love you
- (a) I’m better than everyone in this room, (b) I agree and hate you for it
- Nicknames. Weird nicknames, cute nicknames, not-knowing-the-reason nicknames
- Glasses, glasses being put on, glasses been taken off, glasses being pushed up
- Goofy villains (you only get them in cartoons and I’m m a d . )
- Watching TV together. I t ‘ s s o f t. I ‘ m s o f t.
- The words ‘hero’ or ‘villain’ actually written so I can see them and fangirl
- CROWNS in fantasy books. Wearing crowns in fantasy books.
- Unique hair (it is basic…. and so am I)
- ineloquent phrases
- eloquent phrases
- disaster (and I mean disaster) ideas working (better when everyone is surprised)
- sass (duh…)
- teenagers being teenagers (you know ‘kind of naïve, arrogant, selfish, thinking everything is going to be okay but still will no confidence and looking for someone to take care of them’ teenagers)
- Symbolic representation (yes, I’m thinking of The Raven Boys and their cars)
- terrible flirting
- (a) Don’t do it (b) Does it.
- People who are uncomfortable with bad behaviour. aka GOODY TWO SHOES. love them!!
- A person not understanding why someone would be nice to them *all the feels*
- People hating on Zeus (obviously)
- People loving Medusa (obviously)
- Awkward. Dorky. l i t e r a l l y adorable.
- Enemies that respect each other (THIS. I NEED MORE OF THIS.)
- When someone thinks the person they really care about is dead, but they’re NOT and the reunion is *ahhh* (I roll my eyes at it and love it at the same time)
- REUNIONS in general
- unlikely friendships UNTIL THE END OF TIME!!
- Soft animals. (I want toothless in every book. NOT A JOKE)
- laughing at their own jokes (this is me. me is this.)
- singing (bad or good. Actually, especially bad)
- friends to enemies (underrated, epic, amazing, give me more. NOW)
- names beginning with ‘I’ (e.g. Isaac, Icarus, Igor, Ivy, Isabella)
- clumsiness (please fall over so I can love you)
- terrible puns that make me laugh out loud
- internet culture (you need the youths)
- obsessions with tea
(you mean uncle Iroh??? yessssssssssss)
- I don’t want your affection *whispers* please don’t leave me
- music lyrics mentioned, written, sang
- admiration of the glorious-ness of BROWN EYES !!!!
- Composed/kind/quiet characters losing it *oh snap*
- Self-sacrifice *I’ll cry for days*
- You think the battle is lost but then another group of people turn up and epic fighting occurs to turn the tide *Gandalf, you know??*
- “Honestly, I’m fine” *collapses*
Okay, so they are all the ones I could think of at the minute and PLEASE tell me your favourite small ( s m o l ) tropes.
This was quite a different post for me (hello, it is under 1,000 words for once) but I hope you enjoyed it.
Please add to my list in the comments.